Sunday 5 May 2013

Patanjali's 8 limbs of Yoga: Yamas -Ahimsa


Patanjali's limbs of Yoga: Yamas -Ahimsa
 

 Autumn Mandela made by Margot Porter

Ahimsa can also be explored through the inner dialogue occurring on the mat as we move through poses and the practice. The question or inquiry for this week- what is the inner conversation going on as we practice. Below are some examples of my inner murmurings:
  • I used to be able to do this so ....
  • The person next to be can do so ....
  • The teacher can do this so ...
  • I want to be able to do this.. Why?
  •  And so on ....
Is this type of inner dialogue supportive and nurturing?

Yoga for me is about learning to be happy and content with myself the way I am- each day, each moment, each breath and nothing else. I try to see my yoga practice as me time and opportunity to relax and be.

I see yoga as a chance to explore where I am at and how to be okay with it. Yoga on the mat is a formal practice and can then moves out beyond the mat into daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment