Saturday 18 May 2013

Thoughts on my daily practice ...

 
 Thoughts on a daily practice...


 Photo by my friend Herb Robertson- botanical artist and most magnificent chef.

I worked out the other day, as you do, that I have had a daily yoga practice (asana/meditation) for over 10 years. Despite daily practice, I wondered this morning: why is there sometimes resistance to rolling out my mat or sitting on my cushion. I know that once I am there all is good and I can unwind and see where I'm at in the moment. How is it that my mind can create so many doubts and fears to stifle and stymy me to almost not making it to my mat or meditation cushion. 

For a while I kept a journal noting down all and sundry excuses I found for not doing my practice including excuses and reasons - valid and sound, of course - for not going to class, and I was astounded at the variety, imagination and in some cases sheer ridiculousness of my rationale for not doing yoga practice. 

Yet, every day I do my practice because I am happier, freer, softer and gentler. In particular, I am compassionate to myself and those in my life. One idea that sprung into my busy mind this morning as I raised my arms in Surya Namaskar was that I'm meant to be climbing the hill to freedom yet I seem to be stuck in samskaras learning the same lesson again and again. "Practice, practice all is coming" so says Pattabhi Jois and so I do wade my way through resistance and discover that a lesson has in fact been digested and change is occurring. Breaking through habitual habits, patterns and emotional obscurations is not something that happens over night so I make my way every day to my mat open to what awaits.

Regular practice, daily practice done with gentleness, honesty and love really can shift the way we see the world and ourselves...maybe even see all as one and realise there is no self.

I may explore this more in my winter newsletter.

Om shanti,

Margot


No comments:

Post a Comment