Sunday 2 June 2013

Patanjali's eight limbs of Yoga: Yamas - Asteya



                                                          Image and photo by Margot Porter

Yama: Asteya (non-stealing)

According to most teachings Asteya is the third yama, however, I posted Bramacharya last week making it appear to be the third yama. Partly because my understanding is that they are all so intertwined and connected that there is no order. By this I mean it is not like you achieve the first and then tick it off but rather you work on all concurrently. Further, I had to reflect upon asteya in terms of a yoga practice on the mat and how this plays out in daily life.

In daily life stealing in its most obvious form would be taking other belongings yet stealing can take other forms such as stealing someone's ideas without properly acknowledging them, stealing someone's thunder especially when it is their time to shine and stealing time. 

My reflections have led me to offer the following: In our formal practice perhaps it could be seen as stealing through thought: "I wish I could do the pose like the teacher or like the person next to me". In addition, I would like to add the idea of stealing from yourself - here and now - or your future health and well being. From personal experience, for example, pushing yourself too hard to achieve a pose whereby you impinge on, injury or over stress a part of your body is effectively taking away your sense of well being in the present moment - the only time we are truly alive. Furthermore, I believe it takes away the positive effects of a yoga practice done with joy, humility and love. I have come to know that being sore the next day is not a sign that you have had a 'good stretch' but rather that you over did it. Still, I do love the feel of length in my body in a posture I just need to ask is this enough: What is my body saying? Learn to trust the innate wisdom of the body and try to recognise when it is our ego directing the practice. 

Om shanti,

Margot

No comments:

Post a Comment