Thursday 8 January 2015

Yoga: 5 things I learnt from yoga last year




5 things I learnt from yoga last year

1.     I am strong
In fact, stronger than I thought I was. Over the year, I have spent hours, 
day after day doing yoga especially when we were in Bali I did intense amounts of 
yoga at the Yoga Barn. I have spent days working really hard working in our vegetable 
garden trying to grow all our own fruit and vegetables. Surprise! My body did not 
let me down, she grew stronger sure I had some uncomfortable moments with 
chronic illness – everyone suffers in some way or another whether that is physical, 
mental or emotional - yet despite that my body and mind was resilient and wanted more…
you don’t know what you are capable off until you try! Shakti surfer surf on!

Be fierce like a warrior!

2.     Listen more. Talk less.
Really listen to the story a person is telling you. Switch off that part of your brain 
that is formulating an answer or a question and just listen. Give the present of presence 
to each and very person you interact with and you will soon see we are all in this 
together. Take this further and give yourself permission to trust the non-verbal 
part of your brain. If you listen you can hear what to do next and where to go.
 Listen. Listen to the part of you connected to the non-verbal part of your brain: 
your body. Your yoga mat is great place to do this. 

Notice all that is awesome about each person you interact with.

3.     Yoga is a community
We are all in this together and isn’t that great. It may appear to you that you have 
nothing in common with the person on the mat next to you but we all share a common
 desire – to put it bluntly we all want to be happy, peaceful and relaxed. I enjoy 
observing people chatting to one another before and after class, maybe they
 know each other or maybe they have just met. Yoga is a collective we are all here 
doing something to transform ourselves. My face-to-face conversations, emails, 
Facebook comments and the beautiful cards I receive – thanks – all are evidence of 
the kindness that flows both ways between people in our East Gippsland yoga community.
Spend time with positive and like minded people.

4.     Write your own story
Often without even realising it, I weave a story about myself in the way I think what, 
I say and how I choose to behave. You know the dialogue – I am not good enough, 
I will never do that, I am sick, not ready, nor worthy, smart/beautiful (insert your own)
 enough. Life is too short: recognize it s going on and change it. You can overlay 
latent impressions with new, groovy and positive ones. Let go of the past. 
Stop imaging the future. Get on with being now and here not no where.
Rewrite. Follow your dreams.

Life's too short....dream big and do it with love.

5.     Sadhana: practice
Enjoy your practice. Try to do some everyday: walk, dance, do yoga, meditate, 
draw, cook, garden, knit, make chicken houses, play with your children and 
grandchildren, laugh and be present.

May your light shine. Sparkle on.
Margot XX

No comments:

Post a Comment